Friday, April 3, 2009

911

Today was park day. We were all so excited to go. When we got there and got out of the car I realized no one was there. I knew I had the wrong part of the park but I couldn't find the other playground. I put Ian in the car and went to get Quintin who was playing in the sand. I realized Quintin had only one shoe on, so I was frantically searching for his shoe. I went to put Quintin in the car to look more for his shoe and there it was right next to the car. It must have fallen off when we got out.
Unbeknownst to me at that time, Ian has crawled into the front seat and closed my door and locked it. Did I mention my keys were on the seat? For about 15 minutes I tried to coax Ian into unlocking the door. He had done it millions of times before but of course he couldn't do it now. I called a locksmith and they said if a child is locked in the car I have to call the police. Great.
So for the first time in my life I called 911. Good thing I had my cell phone in my pocket. The dispatcher wasn't sure who to dispatch it to, the Sheriff's department or the fire department. The Sheriff's department took the call and dispatched the fire department.
I only had to wait less than 5 minutes and a great big yellow fire truck came pulling into the parking lot of the park. Thank goodness the sirens weren't blaring. The firemen jimmied my door open and the first thing Ian said was "Yeah!!" and jumped out of the car. He gave the fireman a big hi-five and one of the fireman informed us his name was Ian too!! I will never leave my keys out of my sight again. Hope you enjoy the pics I took with my phone. :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious in a not so hilarious way! I'm glad everything was okay.

Laura said...

Oh my!!! That is so funny. Don't tell Madelynn, she would try it just to get to see the FIRE ENGINE!!!!